Love Shouldn’t Hurt
If it does, you may be experiencing the many types of domestic violence. The proble of abuse is not a new one, nor are you alone in your search for answers and options.
The following facts reflect the magnitude of the problem:
- A woman is beaten in the United States every 9 seconds.
- Statistics are not available for the number of men who are abused annually, but there are many.
- Estimates range from 960,000 incidents of violence against a current or former spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend per year.
- One to three million women are physically abused by their husband or boyfriend per year.
- A recent study found that school age children who witness violence exhibit a range of problem behaviors including depression, anxiety, and violence toward their peers.
- Nearly one-third of American women (31 percent) report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives, according to a 1998 Commonwealth Fund survey.